Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Things Lindsay Sucks At:


 I was on Danielle LaPorte's website the other day and found an entry of her's about owning up to the things you suck at.  How it can be empowering to declare, "Hello Universe, this is something I struggle with and I am not going to pretend like I don't notice it anymore!" If we can own those icky little habits of ours, it will be easier to "OWN" them, ya know?  To hold ourselves accountable.

 Danielle LaPorte is amazing.  I just got into her recently and I recommend her page highly.  

That being said, I would like to take this chance to publicly proclaim an abbreviated list of things Lindsay Sucks At.

PICKING UP MY MAIL
I will walk past my mailbox every single day and glace at it while I wait for the elevator.  I know there's things in there that I need to read.  I also know I will probably see a bunch of bills that will put me in a sour mood.  So, instead of just opening the dang box and taking the mail upstairs with me I go on my merry way and ignore it.  I tell myself I'll get it tomorrow.  Then I repeat exactly what I had done that day.

MEETING NEW PEOPLE AT PARTIES
I am 100% completely capable of doing this.  I am not rude to new people, I don't shut down... I just tend to only give 50% of myself when meeting new people at events.  Why?  Because I am SO BLESSED with an abundance of UNBELIEVABLE friends in my life as it is.  My brain pretty much just puts up a "NO VACANCY" sign in the friend department when meeting new people at parties.  Not at work, not in shows, not in school... just at parties.

DOING MY LAUNDRY REGULARLY
I own a lot of underwear.  Enough said.

GETTING "ON THE BANDWAGON"
Harry Potter, Avatar, XBox, Happy Endings, In The Heights, ... these are all things that the ENTIRE WORLD has told me I am SURE to fall in love with and I refuse to let myself get involved with.  I honestly have no idea why I do this.  It's like some dark side of my brain thinks it's being rebellious by not allowing myself to enjoy things that other people enjoy.  What is that?  Also, not having read Harry Potter has gotten me in actual fights with people before.  That's been kinda funny, I'm not gonna lie.

GIVING UP CONTROL
This is a new, fun sucky thing for me since I began living on my own!  I have a hard time believing that someone else is going to be able to follow through with what needs to be done if something is at risk.  I won't let them just take the reins and go with it- I have to be on their booty every step of the way like a drill sergeant checking off a to-do list.  Attractive, right??

MONEY
Money scares me.  This is one of the saddest sentances a 27 year old adult has ever written, but it's true.  It makes me nervous and makes me feel like I'm not good enough because I don't have more of it.  I want to do that thing Joey did in "Friends" with books that scared him- I just want to put all of my bills in the freezer so that they go away forever.  Totally an adult decision, I know!!

PAYING ATTENTION TO ONE THING AT A TIME
....While I type this, I am watching Law and Order SVU and also texting.


There's plenty of things I'm GREAT at (90s TV theme songs... sticking to my goals... etc...) and I haven't forgotton those at all, don't worry... I'm not hating on myself or anything LiveJournal-y like that...

I simply forgive myself for being so damn sucky at these things, and I make the promise to myself and to the universe that in this upcoming year I will try my hardest to get better at them.  

...That felt good.  ;-)


LEARN FROM ME,
Lindsay